Broody with very Pale Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ErinG, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    My 1.5 year old BO has been broody for over a week, with no signs of stopping. I've been putting ice packs under her (no wire cage), kicking her out when everyone is done laying and putting her on the roost each night. This chicken is not our healthiest chicken, she has always been somewhat underweight. Doesn't dust bathe well, doesn't eat enough oyster shells, etc. I went out tonight and her comb was alarmingly pale - I would call it white compared to what it normally is. Of course we are getting ready to leave town Friday for 3 days. I think I am just going to worm her tonight, does this seem like a good plan? I figure it's worms or blood suckers? I have safe guard and valbazen home. She was wormed about 7 months ago with valbazen. Advice please!

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    My broody BO's comd turned pale as well. It didn't affect her and she hatched 8 wonderful babies.

3. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Do you think it's normal then? I feel like she is susceptible to all sorts of things right now just laying around being cranky.

4. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Maybie it's from not eating as regularly as she used to. Her body my be getting used to the hormone levels and such [​IMG] Hoping for the best [​IMG]

5. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hmm. Since it's time to worm her anyway, I think I will since we are going away and I will just worry the whole time if I don't.
    Thank you, it does make me feel better that it happened to your girl too. She is bright red again now?

6. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Yup, after the chicks hatched and she got them off the nest, and got a crop full of food, she turned cherry red. So I don't know, good idea to go ahead and worm her anyway [​IMG]

7. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Done, and of course the second she eats it her comb turns red again. [​IMG]

Ah well, at least she was due anyway.

8. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    See? She was just making sure you stay on schedule, that's all!

xD

9. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG]

I did take some scrambled egg out to her after and she was pale again. It made me realize I need to be paying attention to how much she's eating right now. I'm getting married in a month and probably haven't been giving them as much attention as I should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by