Broody WLH day 15 "oh my nerves!" (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jengro65, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I never expected my white leghorn Molly to become broody but here we are at day 15. This is truely a nail biter! I keep expecting her to jump off the next at anytime after everything I've read about the breed. I candled the 7 eggs she's sitting with on day 7 and saw web like veins in all. I don't want to candle again because I fear I might upset the peace. This is my first time with chickens and even though i've read a researched until i went cross eyed i still feel so anxious.
    Here are pics of Mama and Papa. Any guesses for what the chicks will be?? I believe he is a mutt. Possibly Black sex link??He has 5 toes on each foot btw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    She looks pretty determined! I think it's great how she wants to do it, even though her breed historically dosen't set.

Sire looks cool, I think you're right a black sex-link, but because of the extra toes he is a backyard made one. Where'd you get him?
    Sorry, no clue what the babies'll look like, besides adorable [​IMG]

Oh and take a DEEP breath! It's nerve-racking, but what happens happens. And it ain't nothing you can do about it [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh, I'm with you! I stress the full 21+ days.
    I have ex battery hens. They "don't go broody", right? My 5th mom hatched out her eggs last week. And they are wonderful moms.
    I'm sure your hens will do the same.
    And I want to see pics of the chicks, they are going to be gorgeous! Love your roo.

4. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    I had a broody hen, i put just 3 eggs, and when they hatched i htought sh would care for them. In stead she stepped on them. One dies and the other 2 i didn't risk it. so i set up a heating box. and they're doing great. but why didnt the hen take care of them?[​IMG]

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The hen I mentioned in my prev post has 7 chicks. One of them is forever getting under her feet. Almost every time I feed them she tramples that little thing, leaving her laying on her back cheeping "Who got the number of that bus?" When I help her up she runs after mom, eat and carry on like normal, till next time.
    My hen's not a bad mom. She takes good care of them, but sometimes they are a bit clumsy... Unless my mom hens peck the chicks viciously I leave them with her.
    Glad your two are doing well.[​IMG]

6. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Red&Yellow :

Where'd you get him?

He was destined for my friends dinner table. He's a couple weeks younger than my girls and they are 6 1/2 months old. My friends family have lots of chickens and I believe he might be a mix of many mixes:) he seems to be a good rooster from what I can tell. He's gentle with the girls, coo's to them and is always finding them tasty bugs. He's respectful to me too. He's not one to jump in my lap for petting like my WLH girls do but he doesn't try to challenge me either.​

7. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:Definitely!!![​IMG]

8. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:I'm nervous of this happening too. I'll watch as closely as possible when the time comes and if she's having trouble keeping them from being hurt I will snatch them up and into my house they go!...I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!!! I'm a 46 year old nurse and I can't remember the last time I was so energized and consumed with something the way I am these birds!....pitiful..LOL

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is very exiting. I've had so many chicks born on this farm, but I still get all worked up. Irritate my poor hens, 'cause I'm checking all the time...
    I actually have 54 eggs cooking in an incubator in my bedroom now and I was just thinking, they're due to hatch nearly the same time as your chicks. Mine are on day 14 now. We can give each other moral support when d-day comes!

10. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:Wonderful idea!!!!!![​IMG] How do you get battery hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by