Broody, wont come off of nest!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sophie Mae, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I have a broody cochin. I have not seen her leave the nest yet. Should I take her off once a day to see of she will eat and drink? Will she go back?

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would just keep an eye (and an ear) out for her. My broodies usually come off, very loudly, once a day for about 30 minutes. We have one banty, Chrissie, who sounds like she's being attacked when she comes off her nest - she comes out screaming, dares any other chickens to come near her, does a massive poop, eats, drinks, and dust bathes, screaming and growling if anybody comes near, and then quietly goes back. Sometimes we miss seeing her get off, but she has hatched many eggs over the last four years.

Your girl is probably just coming off the nest for a short time and if you're not outside, you're missing it.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    some don't come off everyday, but she will come off when she needs to. If you take her off she will go back, maybe even right back with no pitt stops [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a D'Anvers that is broody right now and hasnt been off the nest for 3 days. I have food and water where she can easily get it without leaving. My BA did that too at first then after a few days she would get off for about a half hour. I wont even try to get the D'Anvers off. Shes too mean would probably peck my eyes out. [​IMG] She isnt as nice as my BA was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by