Broody won't sit on her egg. . .will it die in the shell?

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
My hen Sadie is sitting on one egg. I've candled it and it is developing. . .or was. It's been 105 degrees to 107 degrees daily. The past week she is in the nest, but will not sit on the egg. She stands over it! It's just too hot! Will this kill the chick in the egg? Or will the high temperatures of the air keep it going? It's her first time broody and it took her a week to stop jumping from nest to nest, so I finally gave her one egg. She's been faithful now to sit on it until this heat wave, that is. What will happen do you think?

broody sadie won't sit on egg, too hot.jpg

She is doing the right thing by standing over it. Hopefully the ambient temperature will not kill the chick. She will set on the egg in the evening when the temperature drops.

She is doing the right thing by standing over it. Hopefully the ambient temperature will not kill the chick. She will set on the egg in the evening when the temperature drops.
Yes, she does sit on it at night. I have another broody with an egg, and she sits all day in the heat. Maybe that will be too much heat? I like letting the broody hens do the work, I will never incubate again if I don't need to, but this heat is becoming a big issue. I lost a hen to the heat 2 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom