broody wouldn't break. UPDATE have given her some eggs. due 10/12

Raven81

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Te Anau NZ
i have a banty cross, & she is clucky i put in in a wire cage as i do with the others after day 3 i let her out. she ran around with the others all afternoon & ran back to the nestbox after having a scoff.
so my Q is it too late to let her have some eggs?
we have a SLW roo with our girls mostly orps, will that make a good mix?

edited to change title

Last edited:
My friend is having the same problem with hers...she tried blocking off the nest box & keeping her in a wire cage for a few days & it did not work. Any suggestions on how to get her to come out of it?

she could try spray the broodys butt with cool water with a spray bottle, ive heard this works. didnt with my banty. i dont even know what she is i was told she is a buff orp cross.
71127_my_banty.jpg
she has a bit of feathering on legs, thats y i call her a banty

ok well im waiting for the orps to lay some eggs so i can put under miss banty but im not sure how to keep her out of the laying box & in a box on the floor so the others dont lay eggs on top of her. do i need to take her out & put in another caged area or put eggs under her & hope she stays in the right box??

I dunno, usually I find when they come off the nest and then they start losing interest it just won't work
hmm.png
good luck tho!
smile.png
if she'll sit on em, i'd give it a shot
smile.png

shes coming off the special nest ive made for her & returning to the main nest box where everyone lays. would it be safe to make her a nest in with the young ( 9wk olds ) so she cant get to the main coup.
the wee coup the young ones are in is a movable coup with 2 nest boxes in it.
would she try kill the young ones if i put her in with them?

ok so ive given her some eggs & she is sitting tight, thats a good sign, Right?
im assuming i have eggs from the Blue, Black & buff orps under her hoping the splash will lay her egg soon so i can put that under her too.
still dont know where to put her. ive got her in a box inside atm.

I won't tell my frustrating attempts at breaking them. Personally, I am never going to mess with a broody again; to me it's not worth it. This year, if I didn't want them to hatch eggs, I put a wooden egg under them and wished them good luck hatching it. I figure why spend a week or two hoping to break them when they'll give up themselves sooner than or shortly after 21 days.

ok so i put her in the coup with the wee ones in the meantime. but im building a broody box for her to go in ill hopefully be finished tomorrow nite. it wont be flash but it wont cost anything & it will be moveable.

I have a broody Buff O right now who is 7 months old...she started last weekend. Everyday I come home from work and there she is sitting in the nest box. Last night I took her inside and dipped her lower half in cold water which I have read on here works...dipped her in the water a couple of times, dried her off, fed her a nice scambled egg, and took her back to the coop and put her on the roost. We will see this evening how things are. I have also read that you can put them in a wire cage with no nesting material for several days BUT I did not want to have her go thru a new pecking order situation when I returned her to the flock. Felt that would not be fair to her and would be more like punishment... it is funny though to walk into the coop and see her all puffed up... she is such a sweety though actually one of my favorites. If I cannot break her by the cold water dipping I will just allow her to get over it on her own...just want to be sure she is eating and drinking ok.

Back
Top Bottom