broody young buff orp will not change her mind??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimslack, Feb 6, 2013.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Has anybody else had problems getting a buff orp to quit being broody. I've had her in my storeroom in a poultry cage where she can move around and eat and drink but little else. She seems to enjoy just sitting in there but she's smelling up the place. I've had her for 3 days and nights up here and yesterday I tried to put her back in with her buddies and she's right back in the nest again. So now I have her in my spare coop with the rooster to keep her company but I can't leave them in there b/c its very very cold now and the nights are brutal. I can't have her being broody in the main coop area either b/c I can't have her constantly trying to incubate eggs right now.

I've had other varieties of hens like marans and wyondottes that I can leave in a cage for a few days in isolation and they snap out of it...but this little buff orp is impossible.. Any suggetions are so welcomed.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have had ones start to go broody and be serious about it. I steal the eggs from under them each day and they give up after a few days. Ware heavy gloves to steal eggs. lol I leave them in with the other chickens so, they get it figured out. I have one that is starting to go broody so, I just steal the new eggs and let her keep the fake eggs and she is happy. She doesn't care that it's winter. lol

3. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Well if nights in the storage room in the house and days in the spare coop with Rudy the rooster is not going to cure her, I'll have to do that. She is the most determined setter I've ever had! Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by