Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ridgefire, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I didn't think White leg horns were a broody type chicken. I went out last night to collect eggs and lock things up. I didn't get a chance to collect the eggs through out the day, so I knew I was in for a bunch.

I go out in the barn of course the door got stuck...someone really needs to fix that old roll up door. [​IMG]

Then I go to turn the light on, because we decided to go out to dinner before dark and of course its now pitch black out, pop goes the light bulb, [​IMG] Alrighty this is going to be a fun collection. Someone really needs to go get a new light bulb. No problem I built this place I can manage to shut one pop door and gather eggs in the dark how hard can it be.

After hitting my head on the roost and startling some chickens, then fumbling around for the latch on the door I get the pop door secure for the night.

Now for the eggs, I reach into the first nest pull out two eggs, throw them in my jacket pocket, next nest nothing, hmmm nothing alarming yet they really don't like that nest, reach into the third nest one of the favorite nests, nothing...at this point I'm thinking it might be time for soup... I give out a call of you bunch of free loaders. Now for their favorite nest...I reach in.......Oh jeez there's something in there, I jump back, trip over my feet end up on my butt in the dirty shavings. [​IMG] I slowly get up expecting a possum or a raccoon to come charge me anytime now. I muster up a bit of bravery and run my butt back to the house to get a light bulb and a flash light. Yeah that's right folks big old brave me ran his butt back to the house too afraid to reach into the nest a second time in the dark.
    So I make it back out to the barn with a light bulb, I couldn't find the flash light so we are doing this in the dark again. I reach up and find the burnt out bulb, the whole time trying to avoid being to close to the nest boxes because I know there is some creature in there ready to attack me. As I am reaching around trying to find the empty light sock, I wonder to myself, did I shut the light switch off? Nice jolt down the arm later my question was answered, no I didn't. So I shut the light switch off get the light bulb in, step out of the coop, shut the door, you didn't think I would turn the light on when I was still inside the coop did you? There is huge scary monster inside the nest box. So I flip on the light, look through the window, nothing. Hmmmm maybe it ran out when I did, or maybe the light isn't scaring it. So I grab the biggest baddest stick I can find and prepare for battle with the monster. [​IMG] Slowly I enter the coop, at this time the girls are protesting the light being on when they are trying to sleep. I peek into the nest and find

My smallest white leg horn fast asleep in the nest. Yeah scary beast alright.
    She didn't put up too big of a fight when I got her off the nest. She hissed a bit, squawked at me when I put her on the roost.
    I checked the nest and she was sitting on 14 eggs, the little turd some how gathered all the eggs from the other nests and was sitting on them. And they were warm, I still don't know how such a small body can heat a egg up so warm. It was in the 30's outside not much warmer in the coop but these eggs were warmer than when they first lay them.

Well that's my story and a lesson for all.........don't collect eggs in the dark. [​IMG]

Now for the question, You think those eggs are still ok to eat, she must have sat on them all day. They were all from that day, I collect everyday and don't leave any in the coop over night. And the little turd was in the nest in the morning when I went to let them out, she must have gotten down during the night. And she was in there today, I have pulled her from the nest about a dozen times today, she doesn't have any eggs to sit, I am making sure to pull often.

2. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Great story...what a cute little hen she must be. The eggs are fine to eat after only one day. [​IMG]

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    yeah they can still be eaten

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL!

5. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    I must know...did she move those eggs to her nest and if so HOW did she move those eggs to her nest?

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    A.J.'s :

I must know...did she move those eggs to her nest and if so HOW did she move those eggs to her nest?

How they do that is a mystery in itself....I've read on here about them moving egg across a room before.

Ridgefire Just let her have her eggs back...What's the harm? The worst that could happen is you'll have chicks(unless they're not fertilized then it could get stinky [​IMG] ).... [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] Glad that Bad Ole Monster didn't eat you!

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    how old is she?

9. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    She is 7 months, which is yet another reason I was surprised to find a chicken sitting on the nest.

I thought for sure my first broody would be one of my Buff Orpingtons.

10. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:How they do that is a mystery in itself....I've read on here about them moving egg across a room before.

Ridgefire Just let her have her eggs back...What's the harm? The worst that could happen is you'll have chicks(unless they're not fertilized then it could get stinky [​IMG] ).... [​IMG]

They are fertile, my roo does his job if you get my drift.

I dont want to raise chicks just going into a cold Michigan winter. This spring she can sit all she wants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by