broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken+quail=luv, Nov 29, 2008.

1. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    i really want my hen to become broody so we can hatch eggs under her. we also have no roo. could that affect if/when she becomes broody? [​IMG]

(sorry, just like that smiley)

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nope you don't have to have a roo. It's an instinct that they have.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are you leaving eggs in the nest? I put a few in my Silkie's nest all at once and she went broody the next day. What kind of hen do you have and how old is she?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    *chicken+quail=luv* ,

This is the third time you've asked about how to get your chicken to become broody or something relating to it. I have responded to one but it seems you didn't even check it since you are asking here. Stay to one thread per subject. You may have posted in different areas of the forum but it is still the same question. Please refer back to these older threads instead of wasting space by posting them again and again. If you cannot find them use the search function.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    IF YOU WANT CHICKS YOU NEED A ROOSTER . LOL

IF she is sitting on eggs and they are not fertile , she won't get it out of her system ( so to speak ) , she wants to be a MOMMY ..

If she is just sitting on eggs that are NOT fertilized , they WILL NOT HATCH .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  6. chicken+quail=luv

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Quote:sorry..... i lost them, but this one is a different question. thanks, though. i'll be better about this.

7. chicken+quail=luv

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Quote:i know, i'm getting fertile eggs and i'm going to try to hatch them underneath her, not from a rooster i ....guess i don't have.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    *chicken+quail=luv* :

Quote:sorry..... i lost them, but this one is a different question. thanks, though. i'll be better about this.

That's alright. Just letting you know. Just use the Search function at the top, and just search your name in the apporpriate box. Then the ones you couldn't find should pop up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=726338118

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:.
    READ HER STATEMENT SHE POSTED AGAIN PLEASE

Quote : really want my hen to become broody so we can hatch eggs under her. we also have no roo. could that affect if/when she becomes broody?

YOU MOST CERTAINLY DO NEED A ROOSTER TO FERTILIZE THE EGGS IF YOU EXPECT TO HATCH EGGS .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  10. chicken+quail=luv

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Quote:i really don't know her breed, but i could show a picture. i think she is.... 5 or 6 months, maybe? when i got her, i did not know how old she was, but i am guessing about 1 month when we got her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by