Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this gets asked constantly, but I'm beginning to wonder about my 25 w/o white cochin. She had a very strong mothering instinct as a chick, she liked to take care of the babies that were a week younger than she was. Well, today we caught her in the same nest box with my faverolle who was in the process of laying an egg. I just went in the coop and she was still in the nest box sitting on my other faverolle's egg, and a plastic egg I had put in to teach the girls where to go. She's been rotating the plastic egg periodically. Does Henny Penny want to be a mama?

Thanks, Sonja

2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Sure sounds like it!
    You'll know for sure when she gets to where she refuses to leave the nest-- then, if you have lots of other chickens, sometimes it's best to move her & her eggs to a quiet more secluded area of her own with food & water close by...this also keeps the other gals from pecking the new babies when they hatch!

Our OE banty went broody... even after her egg rolled out of the nest, she wouldn't budge-- so she is now in the house hatching 3 eggs--a Mille Flur D'Uccle, a silkie and a Seabright !!!

She's happy as a clam!! [​IMG]

3. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

YEP She is BROODY alright!!!!! I LOVE broodys. [​IMG] It's so much fun to watch the babies with their mama. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by