1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrestedCream, Jun 8, 2018.

1. CrestedCream

CrestedCream In the Brooder

May 7, 2018
    I think my silkie hen went broody. She’s normally the first out of the coop and last to go in. She won’t come out of the next box. I physically picked her up last night and set her in the yard and she just laid there for a minute and then got up and ran around for a bit and then went right back to the box. I’m new to owning chickens but I’ve gotten the hang of it for the most part, but I definitely notice her behavior isn’t the same. And it worries me. Does this sound like a broody to you guys??

BlackHackle likes this.
  2. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Yep! Does she "growl" when you open the nesting box?

3. CrestedCream

May 7, 2018
    There’s just one big opening on my nest box. She doesn’t really do anything if I walk over there but if I reach inside she pecks and makes little noises.

4. CrestedCream

May 7, 2018
    I just lifted her and there’s no egg but she won’t come out

5. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Sometimes they will stay broody even with no egg! I just had an Ameraucana do the same thing!

BlackHackle and CrestedCream like this.
  6. CrestedCream

May 7, 2018
    It came out of no where. She was fine the day before running a muck and then yesterday wouldn’t come out. :(

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Yes, that is broody behavior. Do you want her to hatch eggs or do you want to break her from being broody?

8. CrestedCream

May 7, 2018
    Break her. She’s my biggest layer.

BlackHackle likes this.
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Put her in a cage with a wire bottom so air can cool her bottom. Elevate that so air can go under. Leaver her there for at least 72 hours and see what she does when you let her out. Give her food and water but nothing that looks like a nest. Most hens break in 72 hours but not all. You may need to repeat the process.

puffypoo22 likes this.
  10. CrestedCream

May 7, 2018
    Is there any other way? I don’t have. Cage with a wire bottom.

BlackHackle likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: