Broody????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Feb 26, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My little serama hen hasn't left the nest since yesterday except for my daughter throwing her off to collect the eggs. She apparently hopped right back up and stayed even though all the eggs were gone. So do you think she went broody?

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Sounds like it. If she stays for a few more days, my guess would be yes. If you want her to hatch some eggs, make sure she is before you give her some. I would give her some fake eggs (golf balls etc..) to sit on to find out if she is serious.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I already threw some back under her [​IMG] They are mutt eggs from my own flock so if she gives up on them then I won't feel too bad. I need to remember to mark them tomorrow because she is on the "favorite" nest and I wouldn't be surprised if the other girls try to shove her off or lay right next to her.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thats a good idea. I used a pencil one time. I had to reapply it every few days. Good luck.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have 4 broodies right now... tis the season. More symptoms are constant clucking, and overall fluffiness, and the hugest poos you've ever seen!! They're called broody poops [​IMG]

6. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    My silkie is on week 2 of sitting on 5 eggs can't wait to see if they hatch or not as my Roo was taken by a fox the day she went broody

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Last time one of mine took over the favorite nest, the other hens would drag her off by force to lay their eggs, so watch that they play nice. I ended up moving my broody to her own pen when one of the older hens ripped her comb. Congrats!

8. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    If you want to get good results, seperate her from the other chickens! I made the mistake of letting a hen set in the main coop, and had all sorts of problems with her getting kicked out of her nest by another chicken wanting to lay an egg, going to a different nest and letting her own eggs get cold. I think she had about 8 eggs under her, and only one hatched. All the others were fertile, and several were at different stages because the other hens sneaked them into her nest at various times during the three weeks. The little lone chick was picked on by the other chickens mercilessly and ended up dying. I will never make that mistake again! The broody's seperate quarters can be as simple as a large cardboard box or dog crate, as long as it is kept somewhere safe (such as in a garage, where dogs and predators can't get to her) Broody hens don't need much space, just a place for their nest, a little bit of room to stretch when she takes a little break, and a place to put her food and water. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by