broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kasey08, May 11, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    ok so i have silkies and they usaully lay before i go out side but today one was in the nest box and when i feed them she got up (nothing under her) well i watched her and she went back into the nest box its been about 20 min shes still in there...is she just laying eggs or did she go broody on me? how long does it take them to lay? btw she is about a year
    [​IMG] tell me she went broody and i should order eggs [​IMG]

2. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    the wait its killing me

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't think 20 minutes makes a broody, but if she's still sitting 20 hours later, then just possibly.

Imp

4. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    its odd i went back out there like an hour laterand they switched....waited then went back out and there all taking a dirt bath and only one egg [​IMG]

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Grab some toast and read the newspaper.LOL! that hen could possibly lay for another 20 minutes. I have 1 Ameracauna hen that fusses for an hour B4 she finally sits down to business. Normally, by 11AM we have an egg ready to be gathered for lunch.

6. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Even if she is just laying an egg, she'll go broody eventually. Mine seem to go broody after they've laid about 2 dozen eggs (it takes a month or two). It is like their body thinks "okay that should be enough!" and then they go broody. I think it helps to put some golf-balls in the nest box to make her think she has a batch to incubate.

7. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    yeah i do today i watched her peck at it i guess it was in her way as she was laying lol

8. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    ok so yesturday they was both in the hen house which they never do then today they as again and almost like for 3 hour they both were outside it and i went to see what was going on there was 2 eggs and 2 golf balls which one is always there and they had to move the other over there i started to open the gate and of the hens ran over there and sit on them then rolled them.....BROODY???????? btw how many eggs can i pt under them? i'm going to switch them out and give them different eggs

9. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    You'll know when she's broody,
    their additude normally changes, they're only off the nest once or twice a day at most, it won't hurt her to set for a few days before you get eggs as well (if you're unable to find eggs).

10. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    well both are broody now LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by