Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dcs02d, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dcs02d

dcs02d In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2010
    I have 4 hens. Two are EEs about 10 months old. One is a black and white one and th other is a gold colored hen. These two are older and they have been laying. Just a day or two ago the gold chicken stopped laying and now sits on the eggs the other hen lays. She also acts like a psycho.

After using the search button [​IMG] I have found she is 'broody'

What do I do with her? How long will it last? I suppose I could get a couple of fertilized eggs but I'd like to her to back to laying!

Thanks,

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

She'll be done when SHE'S done, in about 5 or 6 weeks. Might as well give in & let her have some eggs. She won't lay for some time now that she's broody.

3. FlagChick

FlagChick In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I broke one of my broody girls a couple of weeks ago by separating her from the flock without the possibility of nesting. She got really aggressive after I kept kicking her off the nest, and I was worried about her because she wasn't eating and drinking. She wasn't leaving the nesting box at all. I set up a large wire dog crate in the chicken run, with food and water and a stick across for a roost. After three days she was back to her old self and hasn't acted broody since. Good luck!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The elevated wire bottom cage method has been the best for breaking a broody hen around here. I have used a rabbit hutch with good results. They aren't very happy about it, but I don't see any point in letting the hen get run down and losing out on the egg production if I don't have room (note I didn't say need, lol) for any more chicks, ducks, turkeys, etc. Here is a great thread that explains that method as well as a few others.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

IMO, flagchick's steps are the kindest way to break a broody. Only offer food and water in the crate or separation area...no bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by