Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Animallover606, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I am worried about my broody hen it seems that she isn't even eating. If I take her off the nest she wil just squat ther in the position that she was in on the eggs. Should I be worried? Thanks

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nope. That's normal. My broody duck hens get up about once a day, run frantically around the yard quacking and with their heads hunkered down. They wolf down some food, take a quick drink, bathe themselves in a great rush, and then wait until no one is watching to run back to their nest. Then they sit the rest of the day and night and won't budge.

Unless you're watching her 24 hours a day, it's likely she's just choosing to eat when you aren't watching. I wouldn't worry unless she starts to act sick or gets really skinny.

How long till hatch time?

3. arkansaschicks

arkansaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    little rock
    If you are worried about her then set a little bowl of food and water by her. It won't hurt. Mine gets up and moves once a day. She did seem really appreciative about the bowl of water I put by her!! It is really hot here!

4. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I place food and water near my broody's nest. She is closed off from the other hens, I never see her get off the nest, but the waterer is lower and the food is less.

5. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I still have 23 days to go I am making sure that she is broody and then when I am positive she won't quit will put some eggs under her right now she is sitting on six of her own infertile ones. Seperate roosters. [​IMG]

6. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    My silkie cross wouldn't eat or leave the nest either. So twice a day I would pick her up off the eggs and put her in her nursery run and shut her out of the nest area.
    I used my kitchen timer, and when 10 minutes were up, I would go and let her get back on.
    I did this every day until day 20, and on that day I held food and water for her while she was sitting on the nest. It was VERY hot that day, and I was glad she drank, at least.
    Although she didn't eat much, she would eat something every day. She also pooed outside rather than on the eggs!

[​IMG]

Good luck! I hope it works out for you [​IMG]

7. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

What a pretty chicken!

I hope the hatch goes well, animallover606!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by