broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 19, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    My blue laced wyandotte and has been on the egg for some hours i pet her and she started so scream she bit me to.What do you think.

2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    It's quite possible. I had one silkie hen that was meaner than snot when she went broody. But I also have a white rock that try and peck me if she is in the nest just trying to lay. I would wait for at least a day and see if she is still in there then I would say yes she is broody. [​IMG]
    I love broodies they make hatching so much easier.

3. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Yes they do this morning I went out there and she was on the nest then I went out there this afternoon she was off but she was by the water dish I went back out there 1 hour later and she was on the nest she has 1 egg.should I put water and food closer to her?

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    As long as she can get to food and water, she will get to it, and it does not have to be close to her. I have two broody hens right now, I have only caught one off the nest in 2 weeks. The other never has appeared to even moved, but she has to have.

A old chicken lady told me to watch their combs. She said that while they will get a bit pale, and might even get a little limp, that as long as they were in pretty good shape, the hen would be fine.

I do take a little water down on the hot days, and hold it in front of them. Sometimes they take a sip, and sometimes a sharp peck.

Mrs.K

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would take advantage of the situation. Slip her some fertile eggs and let her sit a sensible number (Shame for her to only have one egg to sit for 21 days which may not hatch).
    If you have a rooster some of your own will do fine, otherwise get some ASAP.
    Just place the eggs in front of her and she will roll them under herself pretty quickly. (Beats getting pecked to death pushing them under her)

Good Luck,

Sandie

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might read this thread. I think there are some suggestions in it that might make it easier for you whether you decide to isolate her or not.. Two things to especially pay attention to, marking the eggs you want her to hatch and starting them all at the same time.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

I always wait to make sure she sits on the nest overnight for two nights before I give her any eggs. If she spends two nights on the nest instead of roosting in her usual spot, I consider her broody and worth a try.

When I give the eggs, I take the broody off the nest and let her have a nice surprise when she gets back from taking her constitutional. I've never had a problem doing this. If you decide not to isolate her, you are going to have to check under her daily for any new eggs anyway so might as well get started. Some people find it helpful to wear long sleeves and gloves when handling some broodies. You can also give her the eggs at night or use another method. Different strokes for different folks.

A lot of people seem to like to put water and food close to the broody. I don't, but as long as you don't wind up with a mess, I don't see any real harm in it and it could help, especially water when it is hot. Thinking about it, food might attract rodents. You might want to remove it at night. And other chickens may be attracted to her food and disturb her or make a mess. Maybe food depends on your set-up, but I still think water will not hurt. Just things to consider.

Congratulations and good luck!

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Yesterday, I went and checked my two girls. It was hot here, and they were hovering above the eggs, just an inch or so. I don't know how they could do that, but I think they were adjusting the temp of the eggs. [​IMG]

Day 12, I have not candled them. Maybe tonight. Mrs.K

8. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Mrs. K :

Yesterday, I went and checked my two girls. It was hot here, and they were hovering above the eggs, just an inch or so. I don't know how they could do that, but I think they were adjusting the temp of the eggs. [​IMG]

Day 12, I have not candled them. Maybe tonight. Mrs.K

WoW thats pretty cool how they adjust the temp and humidity and stuff like that.​

9. smokeyodie97

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Quote:YEA, good idea i have 7 eggs in the incubator that i put in to day.So i may put 3 or 4 eggs under her tomarow

10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    When I first got my broody hen ( my BR ) I had to hold her head down from behind her so she wouldn't nick my hand but now since I have been the one feeding her and giving her treats while she is on the nest and petting her, she has changed so much and she let me check the eggs.
    We do take her off once a day to potty and then bring her in and back on the eggs again. Its been really too hot out side for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by