1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tigercreek, Nov 30, 2010.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    While deciding on a breed I am coming across the characistic of 'broody'. Will broodiness affect egg laying? Thinking about Black lorps for egg production, and not really interested in raising chicks. They are described as broody, how does that translate to daily egg laying/collection. Any problems I'll have because of this tendancy?? Thanks.......stan

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    When a bird goes broody they do not lay at all. This is why Cochins are refered to as bad layers. The truth is that they lay fairly well, but go broody too often.

Out of 10 Australorps you will have maybe 1 go broody. Even then most will not stay broody very long. The hatchery birds are breed for laying capabilities. Most have had the broodiness breed out of them.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by