broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cami, Dec 12, 2010.

1. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    is my hen broody? she is a silkie so she gets broody a lot i guess. she has been sitting in the nest box constantly for the last 2 days and making these weird cooing/purring sounds whenever i open it. her chest and stomach is bare of feathers but there arent really any feathers in the nest box. she dosent fight when i pick her up she just stays still and coos. she hasn't layed any eggs since she started this behavior. can she raise chicks in winter? it gets to be about 15 F at the coldest here and its usually above freezing.

2. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    She sounds broody to me. I would break her of it now. do you really want chicks in the dead of winter to worry about? JMHO [​IMG]

Jen

3. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    ok thanks and i probably will i just wanted to know if it was possible cuz i thought they only went broody in the spring

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    she can raise chicks in winter - but its much easier for the eggs to chill. She will leave the nest at least 1 x per day to eat & void waste. In the summer the eggs will keep just fine - in winter they can chill.

I tried this just a few weeks ago - with 3 days left my hen changed nests. lost the entire bunch.

5. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    ouch tha really sucks. ok ill wait till it warms up. especially since this will be her first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by