Broody?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeepers210, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I am new to pretty much everything chicken since last August. I have noticed that my mixed red sits all day long on a nest of eggs thats not even hers. I dont have a rooster anymore so I know the eggs arn't fertile. She was born in April and started laying around Nov/Dec. I move her to get the eggs when I get home. She gets angry and pecks at me. This has been going on for almost two weeks. How long will this last and am I doing her harm by taking the eggs everyday?? I feel horrible doing this but I need my eggs!!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sounds like she is broody.

3. jeepers210

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Why do they get broody?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:They want to be mommies. [​IMG]

5. jeepers210

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    How long will it last? Am I destroying her when I take the eggs? When I saw her try ang clutch them under her with her beak it broke my heart!

6. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    jeepers - when one of my buff orpingtons goes broody, it usually lasts about 3 weeks. Fortunately, my girls are extremely good natured, and don't object when I reach under to take their eggs (we don't have a rooster, so no good will come of sitting). But the broody will gather up everyone else's eggs and I will often find her guarding 7 or 8 eggs. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is getting up to go and eat and drink every now and then; if not (and if you can), pick her up and send her off for a bit. She'll come back within 30 minutes, but she does need to eat something.

My broody Ethel
    [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Could you find some fertile eggs for her to hatch?

There are lots of people on BYC that would be willing to send some to you, for the cost of shipping. Or you could get some from a local market if they sell fertile eggs - do a search here in BYC for Trader Joe eggs and you'll see how successful that has been for some folks. I have four chicks I hatched in an incubator from Trader Joe fertile eggs. yup, store-bought in the refrigerated egg section!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. jeepers210

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Thanks so much for all the helpful info. I love my girls and did not want to hurt her or her feeling. I know it sounds weird but I have really become attatched to them and am still learning. Again, Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by