broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Oct 25, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    how can you tell or know if your hen is broody?

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    She'll sit in the nest and refuse to move from it, generally. I've also had broody hens who stalk around the coop whining and refuse to leave it.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:They also make rather distinctive vocalizations (kind of like a chittering noise) and they are all puffed up on the nest. And then there are the broody poops...a small mountain of foul smelling goo delivered once a day. Disgusting!

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:They also make rather distinctive vocalizations (kind of like a chittering noise) and they are all puffed up on the nest. And then there are the broody poops...a small mountain of foul smelling goo delivered once a day. Disgusting!

petunia puffs up on the nest and sits there for a couple of hours. we dont have a rooster.

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    My broody lets me know about 2 weeks in advance of her actually setting her fluffy butt on the nest. She does a different 'Buk, Buk, Buk' and poofs up when approached. Sometimes she even says, 'look, look, look' while finding small bits of food to eat, as if she's showing chicks what to eat. Then she finally plunks her butt down, and doesn't get up. She invites the others to lay in her nest, too. Then keeps their eggs!

Poor thing, last time I didn't let her set - every day I'd take her off the nest, and take MY eggs from her. She got fed up after her 3 weeks, and decided to join the girls outside. Maybe it was because when I'd take her off the nest, she'd poof up like a turkey! I warned her that Thanksgiving is coming up, she'd better not pretend to be a turkey! [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    the3ofus+oursixchicks :

petunia puffs up on the nest and sits there for a couple of hours. we dont have a rooster.​

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter. I don't have any roos at this point and mostly don't keep roos. That hasn't stopped me from being blessed with 2 chronic broodies. Freeloaders!

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep, they'll go broody, rooster or not. Even on golf balls, or plastic eggs, a rock, nothing at all! When the hormones say they're to be broody, they go broody. I've often heard broody behavior called "zombie pancake" and that's pretty descriptive of what mine turn into. Hunker down low on the nest in a pancake and zone out like a zombie. Don't want to be disturbed but none of mine will actually bite or peck me, they just protest if I do. Except one, she's in the habit now of letting out an ear-piercing shriek. Crazy thing.

8. abceekids

abceekids New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    do they get over it?

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, when they hatch and raise babies.

Otherwise, no. You'd have to break them. Search breaking a broody and you'll find lots of advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by