1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peepchirpquack, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Songster

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    Every morning my hen named peep lays an egg while I am sitting next to her on the bed, but this morning she was already laying on the bed. When I tried to sit next to her she puffed her neck feathers and hissed at me. I left her alone for awhile and then I decided to check up on her. When I went into the bedroom I saw her laying on a perfect egg. When I tried to praise her for it and pet her she puffed her neck feathers and hissed at me again. She normally loves me praising her for laying an egg. She has been laying on the bed for about three hours now without coming out. Is she Broody? If she is what should I do? P.S. she is a four month old leghorn pullet.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    Following. ...

3. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chirping

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes she is broody

4. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Songster

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    Should I be concerned?

5. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chirping

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    No but if you don't have a rooster you may want to break her of it unless you know someone with fertile eggs. There are different ways of breaking or trying to break a broody. Do a search on the site for broody breaker

6. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    So a chicken can go broody with no roosters I'm sight? Hmmm... interesting.....

7. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chirping

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Absolutely a rooster only fertilizes the egg, the broodiness is her maternal instincts. Some chickens go broody often and some breeds very rarely go broody.

8. ccarver80

ccarver80 Chirping

Jul 28, 2014
    Squaw gap ND
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: