broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ejordan, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ejordan

ejordan New Egg

May 12, 2014
    Right now I have 2 black sex link hens, and 3 Ameraucana hens. I've read neither of these are really known for going broody. I'm very interested in having hens that would do this. What would be a good breed for me to try?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Silkies are notoriously broody.

3. ejordan

ejordan New Egg

May 12, 2014
    That's great to know. I have a local breeder with silkies and have always thought they are beautiful. How are there eggs in size??

4. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Buff Orpingtons have a very strong tendency to go broody they are good mothers and can take more eggs than silkies

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have always read that Rhode Island Reds rarely, if ever, go broody.

Someone had better tell my girls then - I have had 3 RIR's hatch chicks within the space of two months of each other, and a fourth one has had two stints in the broody buster cage to date! I guess they didn't read the books......

I do agree though that the BO's make good Mommas. My BO hatched chicks 8 weeks ago, and whilst she left them about a week ago to go back to 'being a chicken' with the rest of the flock, she still stops by the chick pen to check on her babies a couple of times a day. She will just sit with them quietly for a few minutes, then wander back out to do her thing.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by