Broodys and crowded nestboxes :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Here is the free-standing nest box in one of my bantam pens. The nest boxes are black plastic nursery pots.
    It has a hinged front so I can close the broody girls up at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get so tickled, there are 9 broody girls in that pen and only 5 nests.

Lisa

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's pretty cute!!!!! Hope your girls are better behaved than mine were. I had 3 broodies going in 2 nests a while back and about a day before the hatch started somebody started a melee and most of the eggs were destroyed and the chicks eaten. Very disappointing. I haven't noticed anyone else posting about this, so maybe it was just a fluke, but you might ask if anyone else has had anything like this happen. I'd hate for you to lose you little ones after waiting so long for them to hatch.

Lori

3. Hi Lori, That's what's so funny --- there are NO eggsin the nests! They are just setting on air [​IMG]
    The girls in the pen are mostly crosses: Silkie/Cochin and Silkie/Japanese (and some young Cochins) and seems like they spend 10 months of the year being broody.
    When someone in the pen lays an egg, it's a great reshuffle to move to that nest and claim the egg.
    Silly girls! Like you mentioned, they'd probably break it shuffling it around from hen to hen.

Lisa

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that is funy!!!!! You have to wonder what's going on in their little heads!!! I guess that's why we all love to watch our chickens - they're always doing silly things!!

They sure are adorable. Maybe you should take advantage and give them a bunch of eggs to hatch???

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by