Broody's babies hatched! What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happymorrows, Dec 21, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I have two peeps under my broody! My first peeps from my first flock! But now what do I do?? They are in a nest box off the ground. When should I move them to the small dog crate I was planning on moving them to in the coop? Will the mama protect them from the other chickens? Do I need to get some starter/grower for them? Any and all advice would be helpful.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Get starter for them, and seperate them from the others right away.

Once I didn't seperate 3 chicks and the mom, and the others killed 2 of the chicks,

and the other one came real close to dying.

3. vtgirls

vtgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Vermont
    I have a 1st time broody mama due New Years Day! I plan to move her and her babies (if they hatch - its been very cold in vt) to a huge plastic tub with a heating lamp at the opposite end from a milk crate nest box. I am hoping that if the chicks wander they will be near the lamp and if not, then they can stay under mama. They will be in an unheated garage but I think it will be better than out in the run (our coop is just 4x4 so too tiny to start them out in there....) Mama is a banty so we will provide organic chick starter mash and water for both her and the babies. Planning to move them back in with the gang once the babies feather out a bunch - here the coldest days are still coming - February is usually frozen solid ..
    Mama should protect them - I'm told hens are smart enough to never mess with a new Mama.

Congratulations!

4. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I moved mine, very soon after they hatched, to a dog box and they had no problems immediately acclimating to the new accomodations. Mine were also in an elevated nest box and it worried me they might fall out and have no way of getting back in. Give them starter and water in appropriate dispensers. You probably wont's see any babies for a while, maybe just a multi-legged hen. Babies do a good job hiding in mom's fluff.

My broody was high in the ranks and no one bothered her or her babies. I'm pretty sure all mommas will be fierce protectors. Or, at least, they should. Just think how mean she was sitting on those eggs!

Congrats! The cutest part is when the babies peek out of mom's fluff!

5. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Oh, and there is still one egg under her that could hatch. Do I give them a day before I move them? If I move them do I move the unhatched egg too or give up on it. Will she continue to set on the unhatched one? Thanks!

6. happymorrows

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I waited till dark and made the move smoothly. And, SURPRISE!, the third egg had hatched. That was a blue egg so I am really excited and hope it is a pullet.

7. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Congrats!![​IMG]

8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Yaaaay!!!

I had a couple of blue ones under my broody in October but they didn't develop. What else did you hatch?! And of course you must post pics once the babies start to venture out.

[​IMG]

9. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    There is nothing sweeter than watching a mama hen with her chicks.
    When our cuckoo had her clutch, she insisted on nesting on a bench in the barn.
    She would tuck the chick, one at a time,under her wing and fly to the bench.Then return for another one.
    Thank goodness she only had three.
    I did not trust the other chickens to be around the chicks, but did trust the hens instincts.
    She did great and kept the chicks kind of off by them selves for a period of time.
    Keeping them seperate mostly for me was the feeding.......both mom and the chicks can have starter but I did not want to feed it to every one.
    Congratulations and good luck.

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] How exciting!

And great advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by