1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody's been off nest for 40 minutes, should I incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aubreynoramarie, Jun 16, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I just bought some new hens and one is a broody mom. She just came off her nest for the first time. Shes still acting protective when I come around but she's been of the nest for over a half hour. Did this move ruin her mojo? Will she go bak to them? I have eggs in the bator, should I throw em in there? I've never had a broody!

2. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Give her a couple hours, I think everything should be just fine. Every good mama needs a break once in a while [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sometimes they stay off longer, even up to an hour or so. The eggs should be fine in the warm weather. Watch her and see that she gets back on the nest before dark. If she doesn`t, it`s time for the bator.........Pop

4. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    Hi, [​IMG]
    The question is: how long has she been broody?
    The further in the hen is, the less she'll get off, until finally she won't leave the nest altogether.
    That's been my experience. [​IMG]
    I wouldn't suggest worrying about it.
    --Hydrangea Turner

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Cool, thanks guys. I always read about people saying their broodies get off the nest for 15-20 minutes. I didn't know that longer was okay. Good to know!

6. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    The last week of her brooding to hatch, she got off the nest for about two to three hours in the afternoonn. I was worried, but every one hatched fine of seven.Afternoons were about 80 degrees F. They hatched on day 23, not 21. All chicks grew up healthy.

7. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm not sure how far along these eggs are. I candled but the flashlight sucks. The airsacks looked fairly large and VERY watery, but I couldn't make out any more than that

8. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i would not worry
    i have had 6 broody hens this year and when it was warm out side they headed for the nearest dust bath for a hour or 2. them gals are smart. she will be back. just keep the door open and the others away. have a great hatch
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by