broody's comb is very pale - ADDED PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fun monitor, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I just checked on my broody girl, who is on day 5. She's settling herself back on the nest after her daily break and I changed her water. I noticed that her comb is very, very pale...almost a muted rose color. Why is this happening and what do I do? I guess the first thing to do is check her for fleas and mites? She didn't have any (that I could see) before she started setting.

How do I give her a boost and with what?

Here's a picture of her off the nest for her daily break:

[​IMG]

and not three minutes later, back on her nest:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I noticed that mine went pale too, it came and went, she did go broody. I just thought it was the heat. When I talked to her, she actually pinked up.

3. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    That's good to hear. My husband just pointed out that she's acting the same everywhere else. I'll try to give her some boiled egg tonight and make sure she drinks, probably when I candle her eggs.

4. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    A bright red comb means that a chicken is laying eggs. It's basically a big neon sign over her head that says "I'm laying eggs! Mate with me, cuz I'm a Fertile Myrtle!"

A pale comb simply means that a chicken is not laying (therefore, pale combs can also be a sign of illness, since one of the first signs of many illnesses is cessation of laying).

Don't worry, it's totally normal for a broody to have a pale comb.

5. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    Don't worry, it's totally normal for a broody to have a pale comb.

Really? I had no idea. I knew that if it was bright the chicken is in good health, but I guess I'm thinking of dogs/cats and flea anemia.

And if it's normal and I'm not supposed to worry about it, what should I worry about next? [​IMG]

6. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    My hens' combs get slightly paler when broody, too. It doesn't last long though. When they snap out of it, the combs get red again.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

My two broodies still have pale combs, they're taking care of the kids so they don't have time for the rooster. The rooster tried to mate with one and she chased him off.

8. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Be careful with what you give her to eat. plain garin and water will help her to keep the nest clean and only releave her self once a day while she is leaving the nest for eating. It is so tempting to give them extras when they are sitting but it can realy mess up their stomac - and the eggs.

9. fun monitor

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    Be careful with what you give her to eat. plain garin and water will help her to keep the nest clean and only releave her self once a day while she is leaving the nest for eating. It is so tempting to give them extras when they are sitting but it can realy mess up their stomac - and the eggs.

Thanks...that's definitely what I have in there, only water and bowl of scratch. Every once in a while I give her a worm I found while weeding.

I picked her up tonight and checked her out...she's not infested with anything, just super, super pale everywhere. Her face, her comb, her skin, her vent area...I hope she regains a little color tomorrow!​

10. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Keep in mind she is also in an extended state of semi-starvation/dehydration -- and it's totally normal! I'll betcha she's just fine. [​IMG]

I agree with what is said above -- I used to put food & water very close to my broodies, but noticed that they were more likely to soil their eggs. Now I just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by