Broody's eggs had an "accident"! will they be okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Jan 10, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In my rush to get things done today and get in the house out of the cold, I didn't guard my broody's eggs while she was out for her daily nest break. When I came back to their coop, one of the meatie hens had snuck into the broody's crate and managed to knock over the nest, scattering the eggs. [​IMG]

The eggs are on day 3. I looked them over carefully and didn't see any cracks, so I put her nest back together and put the eggs back in.

Will the eggs be okay? [​IMG]

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes.. they should be fine... Just wait till they start hatching and the new chicks start playing soccer.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thank you. I'll sleep much better now.
    This is her second batch of eggs. The first ones candled undeveloped, so since she's so determined to be a mama we gave her this other batch.
    I'll have to watch the meaties closer. Crazy birds! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They'll be fine as long as they aren't cracked. You need valium for this broody business! [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am glad to hear there are no cracks. I would suggest keeping a candle nearby in case that happens again, you will be able to seal the cracks if it happens.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Well, that was something I was wondering about and it's such a "Duh!" answer! [​IMG]

So, one can just light a candle and let it drip on the eggshell to seal the crack? Here I was imagining y'all melted paraffin wax and dipped something into it, then dribbled it over the egg...

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Well, that was something I was wondering about and it's such a "Duh!" answer! [​IMG]

So, one can just light a candle and let it drip on the eggshell to seal the crack? Here I was imagining y'all melted paraffin wax and dipped something into it, then dribbled it over the egg...

[​IMG] Yeah you can just light the candle and drip it over the cracks. Cracks are usually very small so no need to a parafin dripper/dipper.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Tell me about it! [​IMG]

BTW, as I just let you know on the other thread, one of the turkens is hissing and biting me now. I took the eggs from under her, didn't want them to freeze overnight, and gave her golfballs instead. That seemed to satisfy her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by