Broodys, incubating, and McMurray chicks, oh my...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkhope, Mar 4, 2008.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Man, what a crazy two weeks!!! I'll see if I can explain without getting too confusing... (or confuse myself [​IMG]).

One silkie went broody, hatched out two babies (doing well). A second silkie went broody and invaded the first one's nest so I split the 9 eggs and gave them each some. That wasn't flying with the 2nd broody (she went back to the first one's box), so I stuck them in the same box (rubbermaid bin) and they shared duties. Eventually, the 2nd broody stole all the eggs and they started hatching last week. So far, four died and I have saved three. I'd go out and they were just dead, fluffed out, beautiful little things, she just wasn't taking care of them and I guess they got cold!!!! The other three were just chirping their little heads off alone in the box when I snatched them up. So those three are in the garage with me, doing beautifully. I'm still waiting to snatch up the other two eggs when they hatch. She has always been such a great mother too...

I have 16 eggs in the bator, tomorrow is day 18. This is my first time incubating. The temp has stayed very consistent at 99-100 and the humidity stays around 40. I know to hike it up tomorrow to around 70% and will do so, but do you think the 40% has been okay for them? Any time I add a little water it spikes to 60%. I have candled and tossed three clear ones, the other ones are just so hard to tell!?! There are a few where the air cells are sloshing around... sigh. I can really only see veins in about 7 of them.

The adult mille fleurs I got by mail are doing well, but the rooster hates me. [​IMG] They're in a tractor for now, and any time I put my hand in to get the water, change feed, give treats, he attacks me. They haven't laid another egg either since the two I got when they first arrived almost two weeks ago. I know, I know... I have to be patient.

I went in on a McMurray order with a few people and I ordered 10 chicks - 3 golden laced polish, 3 buff laced polish, and 4 mille fleurs. They arrived this morning and two of my golden polish babies were dead on arrival. I know they'll refund, but I was looking most forward to that breed. The girl who picked them up at the PO just emailed now and one mille fluer and buff polish aren't looking great.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and any advice/suggestions you can give on the bator situation...

Edited because I can't count...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Bueller... Bueller..... Yoohoooo... anyone with ideas/thoughts on the incubator?

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    you gots lots a birdies... [​IMG]

4. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thanks for the sympathy post Stormhorse [​IMG]

Well, out of 10 babies from McMurray I have lost five so far and one is failing. She probably won't make it thru the day. Sadness.

I also candled for the last time last night and only seven eggs are alive and well. What a disappointing first time. Shoot, I haven't even got to hatch day yet, so it may be even worse.

Edited because I realized last night after candling that I was missing an egg in my count. Sheesh.

5. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    Don't know what to tell you. I wish I had room for that many chickens though! It seems like your hens are doing a good job hatching chicks, just assign the role to them! [​IMG] Our hens are practicing sitting, two of them act broody for about 2 hours then they go outside and play the rest of the day. Maybe one day they'll be sitters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by