1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody's keep switching places

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KristyAz, Dec 3, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have a broody on 2 eggs that aren't fertile and next door I have a broody on 2 which should be hatching in the next few days.

The past 2 days I've had to switch the girls back to their correct nest box. I'm worried it's a little late in the game for a new mama to set on eggs almost ready to hatch.

Why are they doing this? Are they messing with me because it's my first time?

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    THey just seem to get confused, especially if the nest boxes look similar. I use chicken wire to make an enclosure around the broody nest and put food and water inside that enclosure for the mother. That's how I avoid that sort of thing. I decided to do that originally because I'd heard so many people complaining of similar things happening... Trying to move the broody to a new, specially designed place for her to set, as some people recommended, didn't work for me, but cobbling something together AROUND the nest proved easy enough, and then I didn't have to move her.

I don't know what your set up looks like, of course, but maybe you could rig something like that if you want...?

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by