Broomstick Help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MEMama3, Oct 10, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I have now read 100s of articles regarding the broomstick method to cull. I have decided that this is the way I want to go. I have terrible aim so old school axe could end in tragedy for me and the bird. Being vegetarian and an animal rehabilitative I find the whole slicing thing to be a bit too personal. Gassing seems loaded with things that could go wrong.

Anyways, as stated, I decided my route and have researched. Do you know what all the articles had in common? They said be sure to pull hard enough to dislocated, but be careful because if you pull too hard, the head will pop off. They didn't say how to know where the happy medium is!

Is there a way to know? Is there some analogy that would make sense to the populous? Can we say "starting a mower vs retracting the cord of a vacuum"? I just really don't want to pop the head off...

2. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Bump

3. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Broomstick method? Huh..what on earth is that

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It depends on your strength. The first time I tried it I didn't pull hard enough so I had to do it again. It is likely that you will be tentative and not pull hard enough to pull the head of completely at first.

I would say that a lawn mower pull would be too much force.

Remember you are only having to pull the bird an inch or so, once it is fully stretched.

Do keep in mind that there will still be some movement and thrashing after the fact due to nerves. You can keep a box, bag or trash can nearby to put the body into. Be sure to have good footing on the broom too.

5. MEMama3

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine

Broomstick method is holding the chickens head under a broom handle (or rake) and then pulling to dislocated the spine and break the neck.

So my understanding is more of a jerk than a pull. One youtube video was of a guy using a wrench. As soon as he stepped down on the wrench the bird was killed. He said "whoops, I guess I don't need to pull this time, but for demonstration purposes..." Do you think if you were to use something flat you could avoid the pulling all together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by