brother/sister...keep roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MadabtChickens, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I have 1 coop which right now holds 4 RIR hens, 4 Delaware pullets, and 2 Delaware cockerels. I know I will be getting rid of one of the cockerels. My daughter is in 4-H and we just started in entrepreneurship. She plans on selling eggs and chicks from our eggs. We got the 2 cockerels and 2 of the pullets from the same person. That person got them from a friend who hatched the chicks, so it is possible that they could be sister/brother. Is it okay to breed chickens that close in relation, or should I get rid of both cockerels? I'm really new to all of this chicken stuff, so your help is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    As far as I know yes. I plan on doing that with my barred rocks the are brothers and sister.

3. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    You can do it yes. The results will depend upon the quality of the birds that you have. You may get something really nice or really poor. It will magnify whatever your bird's good and bad points are.

After this mating you will need to get some out side blood for sure to mate with the ones you raise from the brother/sister.

4. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Thank you. I do have 2 pullets that are not related to the roos right now. Do you mean I need to get a different roo? I won't be keeping any of the chicks until we need to start replacing layers in about 2-3 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by