Brought home a puppy today! :D

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by magicpigeon, Jun 13, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    It's been 3 months since our last dog (12 years) passed away and today we brought home a new 4.5 week old labrador X puppy from the pound. [​IMG] She's still experiencing a little "separation anxiety" and yeah... I know.. it's a chicken forum but if anyone would guess what she could be mixed with? [​IMG] Thinking of naming her Bellatrix (Trixie) and my sister has the awful idea "Daffodil" LOL, I'm not sure [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    4.5 weeks?? I'm surprised that they let her go so early. You'll have to be extra careful when she is growing up because of all the socialization and lessons she is going to miss out on being away from her litter. Is she still on a mushy diet? At her age, she would still be nursing from her mama or, at the least, having her food soaked in goats milk by the breeder.

can't help you with the mix, but I will say that she doesn't look very lab-y at all. her face almost reminds me more of a mastiff or something with the wrinkles. It could be just the picture or the young age though.

3. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    If i were you I would mix warm water and soak her kibble til its all mush. Then mix puppy formula in with it. She is really young. My pups aren't weaned til at least 6 weeks old, and don't leave my house til at least 8 weeks. Your puppy may have some serious socialization skills leaving her mommy and littermates so young. Some dogs develop obsessive disorders like constant licking ect. If you have another dog at home that is very friendly and gentle that would be great company for her.

Congrats on your pup. She looks like she might be mixed with a Staffy.

4. Luna9

Luna9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    I agree with the others and at this age its really hard to tell what she is breed wise. You can guess all day long but puppies change so much in the first year its really hard to tell right now [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Yeah, apparently she's just got onto "solids", it's a good thing I get a 2 week break to really get to know her. Right now she's asleep, has been for the past 4 hours, so it's probably going to be in the middle of the night when she wakes up (9:04 PM right now! xD)

6. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    a pup that age really can't eat solids. I would mix her food with water at the very least, goats milk would be even better. If you don't have another dog, hopefully someone (friend or family) will have a friendly stable dog to make friends with her.
    be sure to feed her several small meals a day, high quality puppy food. At her age, she is way too young for any puppy shots so don't take her out and around yet.

I knew that your pup looked familiar. This is a 4wk old Dogue de Bordeaux or some people call them a French Mastiff

[​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Sorry people, I *meant* I've been soaking them in warm water, she's getting 3 meals a day (right amount?). We got our last dog as a seasoned, ahem, veteran of about 2 years so this is all new to me! thanks for all the help [​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    the puppy should still be supplemented with a milk replacer, I adopted kittens from a pound at that age, actually a little older. Their hair was falling out, and they ended up being quite stupid [​IMG] vet said it was from a nutritional deficiency and they needed replacement milk. Since they suggest 6 week minimum for the milk/formula I would definitely supplement...

9. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I have to ask, were they orphaned? No mother? Even at that best to have stayed with the litter for a while (7 week min). 3 Times a day is not enough. I have a litter of 4.5 week olds now they are eating food 3 times a day and still nursing 4 times a day. At five weeks they will go to eating 4 times a day and nursing 3.Hard to guess on breed, faces are still smushed at that age, but some pit in there maybe?

10. dainerra

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I actually wasn't very clear what I was trying to say. A pup that age can't eat just soaked dry food. She still needs milk - either a puppy milk replacer or goat's milk to soak her food. It would be very easy for her to get mal-nourished.
    ETA: I would offer her food at least 5 times a day. Again, small amounts coz she's going to have a tiny little tummy. She's also probably too young to make it all night without getting up for a little snack

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by