1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Brought home ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by puddin2018, Aug 19, 2018.

1. puddin2018

puddin2018 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2018
    California
    Hello everyone!
    I am a new duck mommy and I have questions! I have had them home for a few hours and I have noticed that they are very different from chicks, they are clumsy and messy and louder lol.
    The Story:
    I went into my local Tractor Supply Co to buy leg bands for my chickens, in the middle of the store were containers filled with chicks! I resisted the temptation because already have 4 chicks in the brooder. I browsed the containers and I noticed that one of the containers looked empty but when I peeped in there were 3 of the most adorable ducklings! There was no breed or gender information on them and when I asked the associate was unsure. I have really wanted ducks again ever since I had to give up my last three (we lived in the city and the neighbors complained) so packed up all 3 and brought them to the farm.

Can you wonderful knowledgeable people please share any tips, tricks, and advice for raising ducklings? Like I said I had older ducks for a short time but I have no experience with ducklings. How can I know if they are male or female? Do I have to wait until they are adults? one of them is drooling after drinking should I be concerned? I am posting a picture of them just to see if anyone can identify them based on their looks.

Thank you guys for your time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    NoahSully likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Aww they are adorable and look like Fawn and white Indian Runner ducks google them. Also in the duck sticky’s you’ll see a thread when ducks breeds are profiled you’ll find info there about the Runner ducks I have 5 they are awesome ducks. I’d brood them in a separate brooder than you chicks though ducklings are very messy with their food and especially their water chicks need dry bedding. Make them a water container out of something like a cool whip container cut a couple holes in the lid just large enough for them to stick their heads in so they can wash their eyes and nares out which they do often. What feed are you using?

3. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    Don't forget the heat! You should check out this thread

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    shawluvsbirds and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

And the B3[niacin] if using chick starter. :)

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  5. puddin2018

Jun 28, 2018
    California
    Thank you for the advice! I didn't think about the cool whip container for a water bowl, that's brilliant! I am feeding them chick starter since waterfowl feed isn't available at any of my local stores I had the medicated kind but after researching I saw that I should give them the non-medicated feed so I will go into town today and get some.

NoahSully likes this.
  6. puddin2018

Jun 28, 2018
    California
    Should I get the vitamins a crush them or is there a liquid version that I can add to the water?

7. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    If its medicated with amprolium, its fine for ducks but if you can buy non-medicated, that's good too! :thumbsup

8. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    Yes there is a liquid vitamin b complex you can buy at your tractor supply store
    Mine looked like this:

Attached Files:

9. Miss Lydia

You can use Nutritional yeast 1 tab per cup of feed till 8-10 weeks of age or get pure niacin not flush free or time released add it to their drinking water 100 megs a day fresh. My preference is Nutritional yeast it’s tasty and has all good b vitamins in it not just niacin can buy it at health food stores or on line. But baking yeast is a nono. Yes B complex is another option

puddin2018 likes this.
  10. NoahSully

NoahSully Songster

Jul 30, 2018
    Oregon
    I used a big dog food bowl until they were about 18 days old then I switched to a 5 gallon feed tub

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: