Brought home sick chickens (now dead), now mine are sneezing and gurgling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by werd, Nov 13, 2014.

1. werd

werd New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    I brought home some sick chickens that infected ours. One of them died in a matter of days, it's sinuses were so bad one eye was usually closed. The other one fought for 2 weeks but labored breathing the entire time and gaping for all the way until a few days before death. I treated them all with antibiotics Tylan, electrolytes, and a round of dewormer.

I have a Welsummer chicken that was gurgling but seems fine now. The longhorn has started going downhill.

1) Longhorn 7 months, still feels normal weight
    2) Gurgles, chicken has no energy and barely eats.

3) She's been gurgling for 2 weeks
    4) The sick ones that brought the disease are now dead
    5) No trauma
    6) The crop I got it from were infected, the store manager did not find out what was wrong with them.
    7) The bird has been eating normal chicken scratch, I've started added yogurt to encourage eating.
    8) Yesterday she shot out a white/yellow poop, possibly egg?
    9) Tylan, electrolytes, organic de wormer (ordered Rooster Booster on Amazon should arrive today)
    10 ) I intended to treat the chicken myself
    11) No wounds
    12) The two remaining chickens sleep in an enclosed coop 3 feet off the ground. During the day, they stay in a chicken run 8''x4''. Now that it's getting into the 40s, I wonder if the chicken coop is a warmer place for them to stay in.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds very serious so I don't recommend treating yourself since you don't know which of the dozens of things it could be whether, viral or something bacterial that can't be cured with antibiotics.
    What state/country are you in? The best route is to take the sickest bird with the same symptoms the others died of to a state lab for euthanization and immediate necropsy. Otherwise you won't know what they have, how to treat or even if it is such a virulent disease that it isn't treatable. There are many diseases chickens get that require culling the flock.
    Otherwise, in other words, you are wasting time guessing.

Hard lesson learned. Always quarantine new birds for 2-4 weeks as far from your flock as possible. Then care for your birds before caring for the new ones. Also wash up and wear different shoes/clothes between flocks.

3. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh... I just got silkie chicks. One is all sinus-y with a gunked up eye. Eeeek!!!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Follow good quarantine guidelines.

5. Free Feather

I have them VERY far away because I do not trust breeders. From past experience, I know it is a very smart idea to quarantine.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes even being very far away is not even good enough. A lot of this stuff spreads so very easily, on the wind, on your and/or your clothing and shoes etc.

Werd: There are many things that your birds could have, try to get one tested as ChickenCanoe said, it will really help you to know how, or even if, to try to treat them. Necropsy on a dead bird or take a live bird to an avian vet. Have blood work done and test a fecal sample for cocci, parasites and bacteria.

7. werd

werd New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    Well that chicken died, I don't have the money for a necropsy. Of the two that also got infected, one made a full recovery on Tylan. The longhorn got better on antibiotics, but sick again when she was off Tylan. I did another round of Tylan which she got better, but never made a 100% recovery (still gurgling). She continues to gurgle more and more every day.

What's the best option here? Should I cull that chicken or wait for it to either die or get better without antibiotics?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Free Feather

Just see what happens.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

You could try a higher dose of Tylan 2-3 times a day or Baytril. Baytril will treat almost all of the *bacterial* infections that it might be, Tylan won't.

Read this before buying Baytril:

The 10% Baytril dose I use is 0.09ml per pound orally or by injection for five days

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by