1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brought in a respiratory ailment w/ new chicks from TSC- now what!! spreading to my other chickens d

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by indymom, Mar 20, 2012.

1. indymom

indymom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    north of Indy
    I brought home 20 broilers last Wednesday from the local farm store. I couldn't see them at the store because the sign was blocking the view. When I got them home they were coughing. In hindsight I should have taken them straight back! I started losing them the next day. Have lost 2 and have 2 more that are not looking good. Have them on Duramycin since Sunday evening. 1st day I went w/ the employee's recommendation of 1 tsp /gal of water, but upped it to 1 TBSP Monday and added electrolyte mix to the solution (save a chick brand). As of yesterday my 1 1/2 yr old rooster is sick and I just went out and retrieved my younger roo from the pasture where he was w/ the laying flock, because he is sounding sick,too (sounded ok this morning). This seems to be a quick incubation period disease and is progressing rapidly. The older roo is now sounding gurgly when he breathes. Seems to be eating ok but is starting to seem listless and no longer able to get a decent crow out (he is whistling). Is there any hope for my flock or do I need to get some eggs saved before the hens start showing symptoms, to restart from scratch? Is there anything over the counter that I can get access to quickly and get in them immediately to slow this bug down, not knowing what it is. I thought about sending in a throat swab for culture but at the rate this is going, a few days time to get the culture results will be too late to make a difference. Would prophalactic dosing of Duramycin for the hens be in order? I don't handle them daily so determining who's getting sick will be difficult. There are about 30 of them if it makes any difference. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Tylan 50 or LA 200 is your best bet at treatment, however I would seperate all sick birds to one area, always handle them last and never wear the same clothes or shoes around them and the non ill birds, plus hand sanitize often. Where you place the sick birds is key, it should be down wind of the well birds and completely covered with shade cloth etc to keep feather dust from spreading. Respitory illnesses are life long, they may seem well but will carrier it over their life. I would get the swab done so you know exactly what you are dealing with. To treat or depopulate is a personal choice depending on what you are doing with your birds.

3. indymom

Nov 29, 2010
    north of Indy
    Thanks! Vet called back and said take them off antibiotics and put them on 1 part apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water mix. any thoughts on this advice?

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like for some reason the vet thinks it's viral rather than bacterial? Does he often work with poultry? If not, I'd do exactly what people here are telling you... And, I can't see any reason why you can't do both? Anyone else?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Chickenzoo and Klmclain1. That vet needs to stick with treating cats and dogs. I'm even skeptical about that after his response.

6. indymom

Nov 29, 2010
    north of Indy
    Thanks! I'm going to keep the roo's and broilers on the antibiotics then. If no improvement in a day or so will switch to the tylan, but have to go out to get it. I will likely give the hens (who are exposed but not symptomatic yet) the ACV until I start to see them getting sick. I'm wondering about Newcastle disease or the other viral one that can be vaccinated for. The older roo sounded marginally better late this afternoon but that may be wishful thinking.

7. indymom

Nov 29, 2010
    north of Indy
    you are correct that he is not a bird vet.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely it's either coryza or MG...mycoplasma gallisepticum. With coryza, there's a foul odor around the head area. No odor, possibly MG. Here's a link to respiratory diseases. You can scroll down and read about both diseases. They are the more common diseases that seem to be floating around alot lately. To be sure though, you could always have necropsy performed on one of your dead birds. But it would have to be antibiotic free.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm very surprised to hear that you believe these chicks were infected when you brought them home. Does the Tractor Supply Store think they were already sick, or maybe they were infected by a customer handling them in the store that may have brought the disease into the store from home. What hatchery supplies that particular TSC? I have been wanting to get some banties from my local TSC next week, and I will need to think more about it. Of course mine would be isolated from my bigger chickens, but now I don't want to put them in the same brooder as my chicks coming in the mail next week. More info when you can get it would be nice. I hope your chickens get well.

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

One thing you have to remember about buying chicks from stores, the chicks may come in clean.... But people come into the store after handling their birds, kids, adults etc... And handle the store birds.... So whatever their birds may be carring is brought in. They should not allow people to handle them..... Although that's hard to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by