Brought medicated chickens into flock now the rest are sick. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alli34, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    I bought some chickens from a guy, they were all medicated and i brought them in with my flock, the chickens i had before i got the other chickens were not medicated so I dont know if thats what got them sick. They all have nasal breathing like they are having trouble breathing. They are drinking lots of water but are not eating much food. If you could tell me whats wrong with them I would be happy thanks [​IMG]

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    What do you mean by "medicated"? Do you mean that they were sick and being treated with meds, or that they were on medicated feed?

3. Alli34

Alli34 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Ohio
    they had there shots and med food,the ones that dont have that
    have like a respiratory what do i do !!!!!

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Medicated food doesn't prevent sickness, I've had some get Cocci that were on medicated food.

I'd use the search on here and look up respiratory issues. Or check this link and see what illness matches the symptoms you are seeing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    As stated medicated feed or shots (what ever they might have been???) have nothing to do with the other birds becoming sick.

Sorry to say but bluntly you brought sick birds in and the infection spread to the others. Many people only bring hatching eggs or chicks from known breeders to help prevent such problems. Most people that have been raising chickens will at least quarantine new birds for a month before setting them loose in the flock, it is not a 100% garantee against sickness but it is better than nothing.

Look up CRD, respritory problems can be a pain to deal with, sometimes they can be treated but often it can be something that flares up again when birds get stressed.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:x2

X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by