Brought my broody into the house...Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Sheriff, Sep 11, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The eggs under my broody hen started hatching today. The temp today reached 103 degrees outside and my hen started drinking lots of water and vomiting. Two of the newly hatched chicks were barely breathing and not moving. When the hen stood up I could see a chick under her stuck to the membrane. I ran to the house for my husband and we picked up the broody box and brought it into the house. We have A/C, so we set up the heat lamp and have them in the bathroom. The temp reads about 95 degrees. I hope we did the right thing. We have eight babies now and all are up and walking, eating and drinking. My hen Wilma has stopped vomiting water. Hopefully the 4 remaining eggs will hatch. Will this be ok? The heat wave is just for two days then going back down to the 80's. I can move them back outside then, right?

Here they are:

[​IMG]

Mary

2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Wow! You sure are dedicated!
    Poor Wilma!
    If it has cooled down, Wilma can go back outside. She doesn't need the heat lamp, inside or out. If the chicks are cooled, they'll run under Wilma & she'll keep them warm.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I would lose the heat lamp, neither the hen or the chicks need it! Wilma will appreciate the cool a/c for the time being [​IMG]

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I agree I would lose the heat lamp. As for the hen vomiting water, sometimes if a chicken gets too hot it will drink too much too fast and cause the water to come back. Just my opinion but I think one move is enough. Moving is stress and stress can cause other problems to arise. If it were me I would leave them just as you have them less the lamp until she has hatched what she is going to hatch. After you are sure there are no more eggs to hatch then you can decide if you want to separate her from her chicks. Again just my thoughts. Good luck and for what it is worth I think you did a good job [​IMG]

Edited to say: This might make taking a shower a bit difficult don't ya think?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Poor babies, how about vitamin in the water?...help boost her up alittle on what she lost...Boy, wait til I show DH....[​IMG] I dont want a hear a thing when I do stuff like this, IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Says Im nuts and the only one that acts like this over...~~chickens~~..just chickens...YEAH RIGHT!!!

you Rock in my world mary!!

6. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    [​IMG] wow! good job, I think you save their lifes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by