1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brought new chicks home today and

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sandrachx, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    picked up 100 chicks today (meat birds) and put them in their coop after dipping their beaks in water. it was like watching a bunch of yellow tennis balls moving around the floor! for some reason there is a group of them (10-15) that keep going into a corner together and huddling. the light is low enough to create a warm area for them - lots of chicks spread out under it - so i don't understand why this group has moved away. i picked them up and moved them near the glow/heat of the lamp, but when i came in to check before nightfall, there was a group in the same corner. the coop is 6'x5' with cardboard bent/rounded in all corners to reduce stacking of chicks. not sure what's up. any ideas?

2. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    maybe they are the weak ones and cant get in put another light in

3. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Some of our chicks always huddled together with varying distances from the warmth of the heat lamp. We ordered 25 and they would sometimes huddle into two or three groups, with a couple of 'loners'. Even when they were much older, there was a batch that always preferred sharing each other's warmth to the bulb warmth. They all made it, so we didn't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by