1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brought "red" pullets but what are they really

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thechefchicks, May 15, 2011.

1. Thechefchicks

Thechefchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    I bought sexed pullets from a store and the brooder they were in just said Reds. They were cute and fluffy and buttercream yellow and now they are WHITE with reddish combs and waddles. Any ideas?? I was thinking and heard white leghorns but who knows

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Sound like red sex link roos. [​IMG]

3. Thechefchicks

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    Even though they are at 12 weeks and not a single crowing peep??

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Post pics--that will help a lot.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they are feathering in white, and the combs are pinkish/red as opposed to being yellow, then sex-link roos sounds right. The female sex-link feathers in mostly rusty red while the male feathers in white. Yes, photos will help a lot.

Of course, lots of white birds "could" have been put into that bin inaccurately. Tetra Tints, Leghorns, White Rocks, Dels, etc.

BTW, my male sex-links did not crow until 22 weeks, so don't take their silence as evidence of much.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Thechefchicks

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    Well I went back out to look at them this morning and I was mistaken they have yellowish combs and waddles. But what kind would they be??? Or should I say what breed are they

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by