Brower top hatch, anyone have one? like it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vicki2x2, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have been comparing incubators. I am borrowing a Little Giant, still air one. I would love to buy my own. Hmmm, maybe for Mother's day??? Or Easter?? That is closer!!

Ok, so I like the GQF 1588 because it seems to run itself! I also like the new picture window one, cool! Then I saw this Brower top hatch, and it looks pretty nice too. I was wondering everyone's opinion.

Vicki

2. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    Get the GQF 1588, you can't beat it!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I love my brower top hatch. I used it for the first time and got 11 out of 15 eggs to hatch. all 15 where fertile. everything is standard. you can wash it in the dishwasher or with a regular sponge and dish soap. now need for bleach. You cant beat it. I will never ever trade it

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    inuyashalover21 - can you put the top and racks in the dishwasher?

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    The top can fit and so can the racks. The top is only an inch high and the rack looks like a pie chart

6. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Thanks, inuyashalover21.
    I just bought a used Brower TH. I plugged it in, and I am a little worried about it's incubater worthiness. (the motor seems to get stuck?) I called Brower company for a new instruction manual, and they are very nice.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    When I had a brower I must say there was less fiddling with it than the Hova. Not sure if the new hova is more stable than the older models.

8. Josie

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    vicki2x2 - I just found the Brower instruction sheet. It has alot of information, some that may remedy the problems I was having. It is under the #14 here.

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    IT may justt need to be oiled or could be a pert going. I love the parts sheet cause everything is broken down and catagorized. I dont know if the hova uses a wafer thermostat but I dont think this one does. The only problem with the brower is the light bulb where the chicks peck it. Thats about it. There is alot of hight so the chicks have alot of headroom

10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I also had a Top Hatch and I loved it. I sold it when I bought a TX 6 and I wish I had kept it. The thermostat is electronic which in it self is superior than the wafer and the rigid material of the tub is much more durable. You might want to make a cozy for the tub. I just taped a piece of Bubble wrap around it. I used the big bubbles. We dont' use the central heat in the winter here so the room cools off more then when the air conditioner is running. I did find that humidity was sometimes a bit hard to force up in the winte when it is dry. I realize now I did not use enough water. I go through at least two quarts in the TX-6 which is a much smaller unit.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I think you will really like it when you get used to it. The motor will be a bit noisey at first but it gets more quiet as it gets going. Make sure you don't loose the little ball bearings. I have a little screwdriver with a magnet on the end. It work great to take those little buggers out of the holes. Like Steve, I used a drop of 3in 1 oil in each of the little cups. Brower people are wonderful to work with and you can call Tech support with any problems you have and they will help you resolve it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by