Brower Top Hatch Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Overoberyl, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    So I got a great deal on a Brower Top Hatch THI30 that I found on Craigslist, and I'm planning to use it for a hatcher. I just set it up and everything seems to be in order, except I can't find where I'm supposed to adjust the temp? There seems to be what looks like a screw in the side of the base, but no knob or anything that looks adjustable. So far it is holding around 100 degrees but I'm afraid to put eggs in it without knowing in advance how to make adjustments if I need to. I did buy this used (it is brand new but because I'm not the original owner I'm thinking it's just missing a part) I just can't figure out if this is actually the case, have looked through the directions (online) and pics and am still mystified. Also, is the light supposed to flash on and off intermittently? Like it will stay on for a few seconds, then go off, come back on for a few seconds, etc etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Thank you! I read the instructions originally but was thrown off because it makes reference to a "knob", I don't see any knob, only the screw, so either mine is missing the knob, or the screw is what they mean. Anyhow, I got it figured out, thank you!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Glad you figured it out :) If I had the incubator I would have been more helpful.

4. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG] I will let you know how it works as a hatcher. I've got my eggs incubating in a HB forced air, but I liked the Top Hatch for lockdown because it provides a great view and the whole thing can go into the dish washer afterwards.

5. aoxa

Right now I am using a old HB for the first 18 days and my genesis for hatching (picture window) I can't get the heat to stay up. The incubator says 100 but it is 95. I bumped the temp up to 101.4 and it is only 97. I think that will be okay for the last 3 days. The humidity is just right (72%).

When I take the turner out of the genesis, the temperature is not accurate. I hate that...

6. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    That is really strange! Are you sure it isn't a calibration difference? Sometimes the digital thermometers can get wonky I noticed also. Like one day last week I came home to find the digital thermo in my LG at 108!!! I freaked out until I looked at my regular thermo which was still at 100...and I'm *pretty* sure it was never really at 108 because most of my eggs are still alive and well several days later...that was pretty scary but I wonder if its because the thermo is just a cheap digital thermo/hygro I got at Walmart and probably not designed to be at these temps for extended periods of time. Who knows...

7. aoxa

Well the thermometer is also a hydrometer and I paid $40 for it. I had it in my other incubator without the turner and it was exactly 99.5. I think it is the incubator itself. The lower temps in the last 3 days has never hurt my hatch rate :) - It might be better if it was higher though.

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have noticed a small black knob, it is very small and unnoticeable, but I think you can use a Flat head screw driver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by