Brown, bloody Egg YOLKS!

FlomatonsFlocks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Southern Alabama
20210327_114001.jpg
They look more brown in person and when I beat the eggs it looks like blood. Not embryo blood but darker blood. The eggs cook more golden than I've ever seen! IS THIS OKAY? WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?! I've kept chickens for years. These ones I dont feed AT ALL and they have the yard and woods to roam. There may be dead animals in the woods they eat. I don't know. They're 100% natural like an animal should be. So I let it be. I HAVE NEVER seen eggs like this and can't find any online. They are pictured next to a store bought egg for contrast. Only filter is the flash on one photo.
20210327_113942.jpg

Have you changed to a new feed? What berries are growing where your chickens range? Have you been feeding any sort of exotic fruit to the hens? Any special grains aside from regular feed?

Blood in yolks will look bright red but not be uniformly mixed in, and it's caused by broken blood vessels. Diet affects the overall color.

These ones I dont feed AT ALL and they have the yard and woods to roam.

They're 100% natural like an animal should be. So I let it be. I HAVE NEVER seen eggs like this and can't find any online.
Can you break the yolk so we can see what they look like inside?

Diet affects the color of the yolk. Store bought eggs are very pale compared to even my confined hens that only eat pellets and a bit of scratch. My free range ladies have a darker/richer yolk compared to my confined hens. My free rangers do eat some pellets, but they eat from the field, woods, etc. I would say, likely they are fine, it's just diet.

Can you break the yolk so we can see what they look like inside?

Diet affects the color of the yolk. Store bought eggs are very pale compared to even my confined hens that only eat pellets and a bit of scratch. My free range ladies have a darker/richer yolk compared to my confined hens. My free rangers do eat some pellets, but they eat from the field, woods, etc. I would say, likely they are fine, it's just diet.
I'll even do a comparison for you.
The single egg is from my layers - mostly fed pellets and scratch. The 2 eggs on the bottom are free range hens that eat a lot grass, bugs, etc., plus pellets and some scratch.
Photos don't always do justice, but there is a definite difference in the yolk color, especially when "broken". The eggs were all laid yesterday.

1617044988343.png

1617045005052.png

Back
Top Bottom