brown egg breed.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jfoley, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jfoley

jfoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    witch breed of ck. has the best brown eggs. i have a few RR but i have heard there is a better breed than RR.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:I think everything is better than a RR but that me. What qualities are you looking for just production, long term production, body size, temperment, give some more details here.

3. jfoley

Mar 21, 2011
    mainly the size of the eggs. i have 6 hens that lay 4-5 eggs aday at around 1.7-2.0oz. have only seen 2 d/youkers in 3mo. is a plymouth rock any better?

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    How old are your hens? Young hens start out laying small eggs, and their eggs increase in size as they get older.

Also, the heat may be hard on them. My hens have been laying smaller eggs in this heat.

Rhode Island Reds are about the best breed for brown eggs. Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comets, Cinnamon Queens, Gold Sexlink, Red Star, etc.) may be slightly better.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Consider the Golden Comet (gold sex link) Red Star (red sex link) and the Black Star (black sex link). Because these are hybrids they have hybrid vigor and take the best from their parentage to become 'egg laying machines'.

I have a little Golden Comet that has laid todate an egg every day (despite our high heat) for the last 103 days. Generally she lays a Jumbo or Extra large. She has just lately switched to laying Large. She is very serious about her egg-laying too. If you are interested in egg-production, you can hardly go wrong.

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:If you are wanting larger / Extra Large or Jumbo eggs you need to look into the assorted sex links. They lay alarger eggs and very regularly. Just plan on replacing the laying flock frequently.

7. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I like my Barred Plymouth Rocks a lot! Nice large brown eggs. And they have done better in the hot weather than my RIR.

8. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I like my RIR she is a nice bird but she lays smaller eggs than my EE or my 3 Barred Rocks. I probably shouldn't judge the whole breed by one bird though.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    orpingtons lay a very large egg and most every day.

10. jfoley

Mar 21, 2011
    thanks 4 the replys. now if i can find them locally i will be happy.

thanks again. j.foley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by