Brown egg "freckles"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hrmalexandra, Oct 13, 2009.

1. hrmalexandra

hrmalexandra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hey all,
    After one weak egg I rushed out and got oyster shell. I sprinkle it on the girls' food daily. Anyways, every once in a while an egg pops out with small dark brown dots on it - 3-D specks. Is this too much calcium or another problem? Or is it okay?

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think it is okay some of my hens have eggs with 3d speckles on them

3. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

This is natural.

4. firerott24

firerott24 New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    You didn't state what breed you have but my comets get oyster shell mixed in their food once a week and I constantly get speckled and "bumps" on my eggs. Never have had a problem with weak shells, some are sometimes hard to break open. Never had a problem hatching them either.

5. hrmalexandra

hrmalexandra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks! I was worried about over-calcium-ing them ... the shells are wonderfully firm so I won't stress out!

6. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I get a red striped egg from one of my RIRs,six lay nice brown eggs,the other one wants to be different I suppose,they taste just as good as any of the others,my RIRs are about seven months old [​IMG]

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    My cochins give me brown Eggs and sometimes they
    put brown sprinkles on them to surprise me.
    its natural.

8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an EE that has been giving me eggs for about 3 weeks now. Instead of the hoped for blue/green, she has given me a nice cream/tan egg that will have slight sprinkling on it upon occasion:)

9. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I have one BPR who lays a pinky/brown egg and the other lays a brown egg with dark brown freckles - it think it's cute! And I can tell who laid what egg too [​IMG]

10. twistedpickle

twistedpickle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    northfield
    I also get brown "sprinkles". It is normal to get such things as change in color shade and sprinkles, even dark spots on some breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by