brown egg gene but laying... WHITE eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 19, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My last black sexlink is finally laying... at 8 months old!!

[​IMG]

However... the eggs are quite disappointing! She is a huge girl, super feathery and glossy and healthy, about the biggest in the flock: she is a mix of barred rock and RIR, maybe a dash of black cochin in there.

Eggs are barely bigger than those of my silkie hen, and WHITE! [​IMG]

I caught her in the nest yesterday and today so I know these eggs are hers. Little bit of blood smears on them, too.

Left to right: silkie egg, two of my sex link's eggs (her first two), and a random egg from the sexlink flock for comparison, they pretty much look more or less the same:

[​IMG]

I would love to hear that there is hope that her eggs will get bigger and darker over time..!

Thoughts??

[​IMG]

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    If she just started laying, don't worry about the size -- they get bigger!

Couldn't tell you what's up with the color, though.

3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    youre sure of the breeds? what is the color of her ear lobes? i think thats what they go by...

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    youre sure of the breeds? what is the color of her ear lobes? i think thats what they go by...

that's what the breeder told me they are... she runs a pretty tight ship so I'm quite sure that's the mix.

got her & her sister at about 16 weeks of age in mid-July.

here's the culprit (funny how the light affect coloring depending on the pic) - so what do you think?

will i get big brown eggs eventually??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by