Brown egg layer identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FeralAnalyst, Jun 13, 2016.

1. FeralAnalyst

FeralAnalyst New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    I received an assortment if Brown egg layers (plus one rare chick) from mcmurray. Having some trouble identifying them.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Bonus pic of my guineas.

2. FeralAnalyst

FeralAnalyst New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I think I see a Black sex-link (aka Black Star), a Rhode Island Red, White Plymouth Rock, one that looks like a Barred Rock or Dominique, maybe a Buff Orpington. If you get better individual pictures and label them I think it will be easier to say for sure what you have.

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Well, I can't identify all of them, but I can for some. In the second pic, the bird all the way at the back looks to be a Barred Rock. It looks like you have 1 or 2 Rhode Island Reds. And you might have a Buff Orpington. Can't tell for sure though. Oh and I think you have a Black Sex Link as well. Your guineas are gorgeous! :)

5. FeralAnalyst

FeralAnalyst New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    Thanks. I will try to take some better pictures tonight.

The guineas are a week younger than they layers and I just put them together outside in the coop. I was brooding them next to each other in separate kiddie pools. They are getting along pretty well. Right now the layers are in charge but it will be interesting to seer how they get asking add the guineas catch up in size.

6. FeralAnalyst

FeralAnalyst New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    Better pictures with labels. Chickens are not very good at posing for pictures.
    Black star:[​IMG]

RIR?
    [​IMG]

Probably a Barred rock or Dominique? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a roo.
    [​IMG]

White Plymouth rock or buff orpington?
    [​IMG]

Not sure. Biggest of the birds. Maybe a sex link?
    [​IMG]

Not sure #2
    [​IMG]

7. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Okay, so picture #1: looks like a Black Star, but I can't be positive. I'm not really knowledgable with that breed. Picture #2: looks like an RIR. Picture #3: looks like a Barred Rock. Barred Rocks have single combs and from the picture it looks like that bird has a single comb. Picture #4: the white one looks like a White Plymouth Rock. Picture #5: looks like an RIR or Red Sex Link. Picture #6: is a Buff Orpington. Good luck with your chicks and guineas and have fun! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by