1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown egg layer laying nearly white egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TallJ, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Our first flock ever of chickens has (finally!) started laying. Until today, as far as we know, just one girl was laying. A few are starting to show signs they may be getting ready. (Making the "I LAID AN EGG!" cackle, crouching down and letting us pet them. Deep red combs.)
    She has laid almost the exact same size egg every day! The exception was that she was getting later and later in the day, and then skipped 1 day and switched to an AM egg. I got the egg out for today this morning. This evening I was closing up the coop and found another egg. It was smaller, a little wonky shaped, and nearly white. We are SUPPOSED to only have brown egg layers, and one easter egger. (She hasn't shown any signs of being ready to lay yet.)

We have:
    Black Australorps (1 is laying)
    Barred Rock (she is cackling and crouching)
    Rhode Island Reds (one is cackling)
    White Rocks
    Buff Orpingtons
    Easter Egger

I know eggs come in different shades of brown. When I put it up to a commercial egg it isn't white, but next to our other brown eggs it does look white. It is not uniform in shape (a little leathery looking in a spot, but I read on here that is normal for a new layer) Is this coloration 'normal'?
    Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you get a pic of the egg on a white background?

My guess right off is possibly the Easter egger. Does she have a pea comb or a straight comb? Straight really cuts down the chances of a blue/green egg layer, and some of them lay a nice cream colored egg.

I've had some Orpingtons lay pretty light brown eggs, but not the cream color you're describing. Might be just a glitch, whoever is laying forgot to put the color on before it came out. Sometimes they forget to put the shell on altogether!

The other possibility is one breed isn't what you were told.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Every hen lays on a schedule like that above. She lays later and later each day until there is no time remaining in the day to lay so she skips that day or maybe she leaves you a surprise on the ground under the roost pole. The shell color is only added after the external shell is formed and sometimes there is insufficient pigment in the hen's reproductive track to fully color the egg, therefor you get bone colored or all shades of tan on eggs from hens that normally lay brown or some other color egg.

The brown color is added to the external shell 90 minutes or less before the hen lays it. At that all eggs start out with a white exterior, and all eggs are white on the inside were it matters because the egg's contents only meets the shell in this area. A hectic egg laying schedule may have exhausted your hen's supply of brown pigment. I find it hilarious that the old "a brown egg is a better egg" BS is still making the rounds. As funny as it is it doesn't give me much hope for the future of society.

4. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    I am not really concerned about the brown egg being a 'better' egg, I am concerned if this were to indicate a problem with my hen. :-D Not planning on eating the shell.....well, directly anyway. Into the compost they go!
    I'll try to get a pic a little later today.
    And the oddly colored egg wasn't from the hen that has been laying - she had already laid that morning, and the morning before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by