Brown Egg layer laying whitish eggs? ((Pic Included))

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reurra, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    One of my birds are laying whitish eggs. This started a few days ago.

All my birds started laying brown eggs when they started laying but in the past few days Ive been getting these cream colored eggs. I have not recently changed feed on them. Its the same pellets Ive been giving them for the past 3 months, Purina Layer Feed.

Anyhow, the eggs seem normal in every way other than the color change.

I got 2 young pullets the other day that are supposed to be Americaunas and lay either green or blue eggs. the larger bird looks as though she might be ready to lay so i suspected she might be the culprit, but Ive never seen her in the egg boxes. I have 6 hens total, 4 current layers and the 2 Americauna pullets. Im still getting 2-4 eggs day from the original hens. Im starting to suspect that maybe the larger pullet has started laying, or my Blue Australorp is to blame because she always seemed to lay an egg with lots of bloom.

Any suggestions on whats going on?

(they havent been outside much in the last 3 months due to extra cold/windy/rainy/snowy weather)

The one in the top left corner has a touch of green on it, but I cant tell if its poop or pigment. the others are cream/off white and shiny. All 5 of the white eggs are at the top left, the rest are the normal color I usually get, though some kind of have a pinkish hue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I believe it is the shell gland that puts on the color of an egg. Genetics, type of bird and how many eggs she lays will determine how dark the color of the egg is. If she lays a lot of eggs, the color may lighten up. After a molt and has had a long break, her eggs will be darker.

So if she is healthy in every other way, it may be just a loss of this coloring in the shell gland, or this loss of color was passed down to her from her parent birds.

3. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I havent seen any illness, everyone is perky and healthy. They are all young birds (oldes just turned a year old this month). Im giving them Purina Scratch from the feed store as a daily treat to keep up their calories. They get grit because they cant go outside. The only scraps the get are things like romaine lettuce ends, corn once every week, bread loaf ends once a week or so. I keep away from processed foods such as noodles, breads are about as far as I go with that.

It must be that they are tired of winter. perhaps not enough sunlight. Today i let them out for a few hours because the wind had changed to the lea of the coop so it wasnt blowing directly inside.

I did catch them eating shavings the other day. I dont know what that was all about.

4. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I just remembered.

My blue australorp has had a swollen lump over her eye for months. Despite getting antibiotice in her, the lump has persisted. She is healthy in every other way. She is always hungry, always first at the door. She used to be the underdog for quite a while.

Here is the original post. She still looks the same, and its been almost 2 months since it started. She nearly stampede over me to get outside this morning.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732526/influenza-swollen-over-eye-some-bubbling#post_10409140

We did go through a month of -20C weather. The coldest its been over the last 2 weeks has been -5c to -11C at night and 0C to 2C during the days. Could whoever it is be stressed by temp changes? there has been no molt yet. they started laying in late Sept. early Oct. and have been pretty steady since.

5. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    I have two EE (bought as Americans) that instead of laying a pretty green egg, lay a cream colored egg. They can lay any color. Could one of them be laying?

6. Reurra

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Im considering it because my larger black one has a little white poo on her feathers like my other layers do. Im suspecting, but i have not witnessed her in a box yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by