1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brown Egg Layer Mix???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleFarmInWV, Aug 19, 2011.

1. LittleFarmInWV

LittleFarmInWV Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    So we ordered our Brown Egg Layer Mix of 25 plus 4 barred rocks and a "mystery chick" and they FINALLY came after much anticipation by my 5 year old daughter and 4 year old son. We've been looking at the McMurray catalouge all morning and trying to figure out who is what but we're really not sure. I think I have 14 barred rocks, 3 dark cornish, an araucana?, and some miscellaneous. Any thoughts on what some of them are? We've had a few big chickens for a couple of months but these are our first chicks!
    Thanks a bunch for any guesses!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  3. LittleFarmInWV

Jul 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:If it is a brown layer mix, I would not think EE's or Araucana's.

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:If it is a brown layer mix, I would not think EE's or Araucana's.

you are right....the pic is a bit too small, we will need more up close shots, maybe some individual shots as well...
    you didn't have anything planned for the day did you! LOL

6. LittleFarmInWV

Jul 30, 2011
    Oops, you're right on the Araucana or Ameraucanas (they aren't even an option in the pack). It says I will have at least 5 types of: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star. Some chicks look just alike though, so it must be an aquired skill to pick out each breed.

There are quite a few black ones, but only some have the white spot on their head. One is black with all black legs so maybe an Australorp? Also, as far as I can tell none of them have feathered legs or crests.

I'm looking through older posts trying to find pictures of each breed and trying to upload a few more pics. This is the most fun I've had in a long time!

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    do the ones with the white dots have barred wings, black and white barring? If so those are the BR...
    the yellow, should be the orpingtons

its really hard to tell from your pic, glad you are having fun, this is an addicting site...
    remember to take weekly pics of your babes, they grow REALLY fast, and who knows, by doing so
    you may be able to help someone else identify their chicks!

8. LittleFarmInWV

Jul 30, 2011
    This is the fattest and fluffiest of them all.
    [​IMG]

And here she is with three of her buddies that are all reddish or brown. Maybe a RIR in there?

[​IMG]

The black with white spots on their heads have white wing tips. I don't think they have little stripes on the wings as much as it looks like the end of each wing was dipped in white out.

And luckily, no, we left our calendar open for chicky time all day today. My daughter went to her first day of first grade today, so she'll be super excited when I pick her up. I just realized our buff laced polish hen is at the patio door looking in. She must be wondering why the kids haven't been out there petting her all morning. I hope she's not the jealous type!

9. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Here is my brown egg layer mix from Mc Murray, hatched May 13. They are now big. We wondered what kind they were too. The colors changed like crazy on them! Here's what we ended up with.
    Red Stars
    Rhode Island Red
    Barred Rock
    Australorp
    Silver laced Wyandotte
    Columbian Wyandotte
    Columbian Rock
    White Giant
    Partridge Cochin

I think that's all.. very interesting mix and I was pleased with the variety. One of the reds is a rooster and the Cochin I believe was our rare bird, which really isn't listed as rare, and it's a rooster.
    Also, I was surprised that NONE of them turned out to be yellow or buff.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Quote:The chick on the far right looks just like my RIR did. The one with the stripe down its back could be a SS, is she yellow underneath? The fluffy one looks like an EE to me, but im not a chick expert [​IMG] Congrats on your chicks, they are adorable!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by