Brown egg layer variety pack

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Charmdbychicks, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Charmdbychicks

Charmdbychicks Out Of The Brooder

So I got the brown egg layer variety pack from Murray McMurray. I think I have some black australorps. The silver one was gorgeous, since he was a roo we had to get rid of him, but I'd love to know what he was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, what features (other than color) do you look at to get the answers?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    the first yellow adult bird pictured appears to be a rooster. Shiny, pointy feathers at the base of his tail give him away. Perhaps a buff orpington?

Color isn't always a good indicator of rooster vs. pullet. I generally wait till the birds are old enough to be certain of sex (shiny, pointy feathers at the base of the tail start coming in for males, sometimes rust colored wing bands; for my girls, I wait until they are obviously at point of lay...fully developed combs and wattles, absence of rooster feathers).

Generally, roos will develop red combs MUCH sooner than girls (before they are near adult size), and giant feet with big, thick, goofy looking legs when they are still quite little, but I still wait...my BCM ALL developed combs and super thick legs with giant feet, and all appeared as if they would grow to crow instead of lay. Every one of them turned out to be girls.

Can you provide us with a list of possible breeds so we can help you more accurately?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  3. Charmdbychicks

at least 5 different ones from this list: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    So when you order an egg layer variety pack from McMurray they send you straight run? Or did they include extra chicks in the shipment? You have another cockerel, the buff Orpington here

[​IMG]

And the one in the back here
    [​IMG]

I can say you do not have any Wyandottes, Sussex, Turkens, Delawares, Brahmas, or Cornish. You did get buff Orpingtons, white Orpingtons or white Giants, red stars/RIR/New Hampshires (the all look alike). The blue cockerel looks like a blue Andalusian, but you would only get one of those if they added extra males.

5. Charmdbychicks

Nailed all three of the cockerels. The yellow one hasn't gone into the pot yet because my son, who's in charge of slaughter, hasn't had the heart yet. They
    Nailed all three of the cockerels. The yellow one hasn't gone into the pot yet because my son, who's in charge of slaughter, hasn't had the heart yet. They were supposed to be all pullets plus one (presumably straight run) rare.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the grey chick was your free exotic/rare bird, a blue Andalusian cockerel.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hatcheries are getting terrible at sexing chicks!! Years ago I ordered 25 laying hens and 2 roosters, 5 years in a row. MM got it right EVERY single year! Of course every exotic chick was some useless rooster......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by