Brown egg-laying mutt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bucolic beauty, May 23, 2011.

1. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    My husband and I got eight 3 year old hens(I know, I know)last week and are unable to identify one of the breeds. She's a brown egg-layer and at first glance she sort of looks like a red sex-link but I have a handful of those girls and the coloring just isn't the same. I'm a first time chicken mama, though, so I could be wrong. Could she just be a mutt?
    [​IMG]

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Looks like a red sexlink to me, maybe a Golden Comet. [​IMG]

3. bucolic beauty

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Is a Golden Comet and a Red Star the same thing? We got a few Red Stars from My Pet chicken, which I know are red sex-links. Are Golden Comets red sex-links as well?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are many, many combinations that can be called Red Sex Links. She may not have been one at all, although she bears that coloring. I'd say 3 years old is about right, given the bleaching of the yellow. Her super high production days are over, but she'll still lay a few per week for you.

5. bucolic beauty

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    We bought them in hopes of getting enough eggs for our family of four until our 23 ten and twelve week old girls(at least I hope they're all girls)start laying. We've only had these new girls since last Sunday and today they've already gifted me with 4 eggs. Not bad. Anyhow, thank you for the info.

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Golden comets are a type of red sexlink, so are red stars. There are several diferent combos of parents that will give red sexlink chicks, and hatcheries often give them their own names. I have an older red sexlink, too. Maggie is the sweetest chicken I've ever owned and still lays about 5 JUMBO eggs a week. [​IMG] I have hen that lays every single day, but her eggs are only medium sized. I think Maggie makes up in size what she's missing in quantity. [​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    My vote would be for Gold Comet/Gold Sex-link. Your chicken could be my hen's twin! They're a lovely, easy going, and reliable breed.

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    She's a Red Sexlink (aka Golden Comet, Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, etc.). Since Red Sexlinks are hybrids, they can vary quite a lot in color. [​IMG]

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    AKA cherry egger what ever she is she is a beauty and a red something pic a name(Breed) you like best out of the ones given and that is what she is... [​IMG]

10. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    It might not be so bad having them, because having a few older hens in the flock can help calm down the younger ones. Or so I have heard. Your a good person to take them in, I hope you and them enjoy their retirement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by